[Commons-l] ShakataGaNai blocked me for a week

szwedzki suidisz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 14:06:41 UTC 2008

Semen2.jpg file was deleted by Szczepan1990 after a community vote,
initiated on June 23rd.:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Image:Semen2.jpg

In a few hours' after the deletion, a user initiated an undeletion
request and despite a few voices pro and one heavy opposition (and not
even a word of comment to add to that), the file was undeleted after 20
hours (!). I broke the vote back to the previous status, because of his
doubts over the process. After revert file was undeleted again and
ShakataGaNai blocked me for a week.

Such files are very delicate in terms of building a (preferably
positive!) image of the project, i think. If a user (Richiex,
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Richiex) converts Commons into a
self-pseudo-pornographic picture gallery with own private parts, this
calls for immediate reaction. Additionally, files that have their
equivalents of a better quality ought to be removed in my opinion. If
my statement is called vandalism... Multichill wrote in my talk: "Dear
Szwedzki, please see the deletion guidelines. You deleted several
pictures which are in use at wikipedia articles so clearly in
Commons:Scope.". Oh yeah: "Private image collections and the like are
generally not wanted. Wikimedia Commons is not a web host for e.g.
private party photos, self-created artwork without educational purpose
and such. There are plenty of other projects in the Internet you can
use for such a purpose, like Flickr and others."

regards
szwedzki
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Szwedzki