[Commons-l] [Wikisource-l] I want to donate the content of a rare photography book to Wikimedia.

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 01:26:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:12 AM, Adam Cuerden <cuerden at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear everyone.
>
> I am in possession of a book, "The University of Glasgow Old and New".
> (Partial details: http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/july2008.html
> ). My copy is #22 of 50, I believe there was also a cheaper edition of 150
> or 250.  I really want to make this available to Wikipedia, but need help:
> The book is relatively tightly bound, and the spine gets in the way of the
> scanner. I need someone with either a scanner that doesn't have a one-inch
> bit of plastic between the scanner bed and the edge of the scanner, thus
> cutting off the photos, or a photographer able to take high-quality photos
> of the photos.
>
> I would also like to donate copies of some very large (A0 and A1) medical
> posters, from the series "Supplement to the Anatomy of Labour". These are a
> bit delicate, though not ridiculously so, but I'd be uncomfortable running
> them through a strip scanner. If someone has a sufficiently large flatbed,
> or can take photos of them, let's do this.
>
> Please help, I've been trying to get these to Wikipedia for 6 months now.

It would be great to see these on commons & wikisource; maybe a
university library will have the facilities you need.  It might be
useful to ask at the en.wp Librarians WikiProject.

Once you have the images, Wikisource people can help you bundle them
into "djvu" files ready for OCR/transcription and proofreading.

e.g.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Index:Distinguished_Churchmen.djvu
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Index:A_Treatise_on_Electricity_and_Magnetism_-_Volume_1.djvu

--