[Commons-l] People trying to withdraw their released images

Artur Fijałkowski wiki.warx at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 12:14:04 UTC 2008

2008/8/5 Henning Schlottmann <h.schlottmann w gmx.net>:
> Artur Fijałkowski wrote:
>> I don't know how it's in other countries, but in Poland copyright act
>> says that author ALWAYS can withdraw license.
>
> Are you really sure about that? Because it would be a violation of every
> principle of copyright. Licenses can be limited upfront to terms, but an
> unlimited license - such as our GFDL or our cc-licenses, are
> irrevocable. Everywhere, including Poland.
>
> There might be a special provision in Polish copyright law, that
> licenses may be repealed under very limited conditions regarding
> political or social convictions. But in that case the author has to pay
> damages to any legitimate publisher of the work.
>
> A revocation on the spur of the moment because someone doesn't like the
> project anymore is not a legal right and we should decide how to deal
> with those cases.

The problem is, that only exclusive license cannot be withdrawned, but
this type of license must be written on paper.

If I good remember there are people in Poland who know that this mean,
that all copyleft licenses aren't 100% compatible with polish law. But
for now the problem is ignored.

AJF/WarX