[Commons-l] People trying to withdraw their released images

Henning Schlottmann h.schlottmann at gmx.net
Tue Aug 5 09:37:30 UTC 2008

Joe Szilagyi wrote:
> I've seen comments that this is happening more frequently now, where
> [[User:Foo]] will suddenly say, "I withdraw release/copyrights/permission/I
> just want all these 20-100+ images removed from Commons". I had one that I
> reverted on 10 or so images the other day where the uploader wanted
> images--good ones at that--from 2006 deleted because Google was indexing
> them on Commons. They were all images of random streets in another country.

I'd like to raise a similar question. How do we deal with disgruntled
contributors, who deliberately edit out the license tag of their own
images? The result is, that the images are found by the bot on the next
run and, because our contributor does not react to notification, deleted
without discussion.

We even had a commons sysop doing this on his way out, and lost a number
of high quality and even awarded images that way.

Ciao Henning