[Commons-l] People trying to withdraw their released images

Judson Dunn cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Mon Aug 4 16:37:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should the upload forms be more clear/explicit and politely in-your-face
> that once material is released under copyleft/GFDL, you can't technically
> undo that?
>
> - Joe

I think so. I had a request similar to that a couple days ago. The
images were just so-so, and there were some other issues, but the
person clearly thought that would be fine to revoke. PD, even.

Maybe the wording could be more clear that you are licensing your
images to multiple projects, rather than some action akin to uploading
them to flickr. Not sure about the details, but anything that will get
people to at least realize that under our licenses revocation isn't
really possible, and in some cases even if we want to be nice and
remove them from wikimedia servers, removal of the images from other
places (say from downstream users) isn't very likely.

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion