[Commons-l] iCommons

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 2 17:39:23 UTC 2008

I've written a tool that functions as a specialized iPhone interface
for Commons. It is quite rudimentary at the moment, but with support
might develop into something. I note that there is currently no
"official" commons.mobile interface AFAIK.

The URL is:
http://toolserver.org/~magnus/iCommons.php

As most of you don't have an iPhone (yet;-) I'll prefix my demo links
with an iPhone simulator. Note that the annoying scrollbars that
appear occasionally will not do so on the iPhone itself.

The entry page shos the Picture of the day (with description, en only ATM):
http://www.testiphone.com/?url=http://toolserver.org/~magnus/iCommons.php

All pages have a clickable "Wikimedia Commons" header that will lead
back to this page.
Also, all pages have a search box at the bottom. As this uses the
opensearch API, it seems to be limited to a single word...
Green links will lead to external pages (Commons and others), normal
blue ones stay within the tool.

Try searching for "Alexandria".
(This search even found one of our videos, but as video thumbnails are
/still/ not rendered in the requested size, it broke the layout; so,
no videos for you...)
Click on the title link or the image itself, and you go a special
description page.

The description has a larger thumbnail, and all kinds of details about
the image.
This uses my "Commons API" [1], which eases my data parsing considerably.

My Commons API also recognizes images with a location, and will add a
Googlemaps link to the description page:
http://www.testiphone.com/?url=http://toolserver.org/~magnus/iCommons.php?mode=desc%26image=Yarra_Panorama.jpg

The next step would be categories, obviuosly...

Feedback, please!

Magnus

[1] http://toolserver.org/~magnus/commonsapi.php