[Commons-l] Good words for upload form from formerly frustrated prospective user

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 13:19:54 UTC 2008

2008/8/1 Jon <wiki at konsoletek.com>:
> If we could turn deleting copyvio's into a video game.... I'd never stop
> deleting things.  Oh wait, I don't already.
>
> Moving on to the topic at hand.  How about instead of revamping the upload
> page - we create an easy to find "GETTING STARTED" page for all newbies to
> commons.  Maybe revamp COM:Welcome.  It is wayyy too long.  My screen res is
> set to 1680x1050 - and it is still more than a page long.
>
> We really need a simple page that gives the ultra short version of what
> commons is (like 1 sentence).  What type of pictures we accept (1
> sentence).  Then a "How to get started guide", preferably with picture -
> which is how to signup, how to upload. Obviously we'll need lots of links to
> other places, like COM:L.  But at least one small page to be less
> intimidating.

My one-liner for uselang=experienced is this:
"Quick tips: upload full-resolution files - use meaningful destination
filenames - write a meaningful description - add categories/galleries
- give evidence (URL/OTRS) of free license release for work by someone
else. "

In a way, we can be scientific about this. We should try that. We can
measure upload stats. We can record how many files get deleted within
N days. (It would be super interesting to see that curve. Probably
there is a value for N after which if a file survives that long, it
basically survives forever.) We can record how many files get
particular deletion tags.

We can get the stats for a month based on our current forms.

Then we can modify the forms, and record more stats.

If the %age of suspect files stays the same or decreases, we have a
winner. Especially if the absolute number of files uploaded increases
(more than projection).

I think in a big way, deliberately or non-deliberately, we nag people
with info overload to discourage them from uploading, because that
inherently discourages uploading of copyvios.
And we do that because it's nearly the worst possible user experience
to have your content deleted. (and it's more work for us.)

Should we as a community push a lot harder for an extension that
forces a user to go through a basic licensing quiz before being
granted upload rights?
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pfctdayelise/Licensing_quiz>

and then massively simplify our upload forms.

?

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/