[Commons-l] Good words for upload form from formerly frustrated prospective user

Jon wiki at konsoletek.com
Fri Aug 1 00:54:08 UTC 2008

If we could turn deleting copyvio's into a video game.... I'd never stop
deleting things.  Oh wait, I don't already.

Moving on to the topic at hand.  How about instead of revamping the upload
page - we create an easy to find "GETTING STARTED" page for all newbies to
commons.  Maybe revamp COM:Welcome.  It is wayyy too long.  My screen res is
set to 1680x1050 - and it is still more than a page long.

We really need a simple page that gives the ultra short version of what
commons is (like 1 sentence).  What type of pictures we accept (1
sentence).  Then a "How to get started guide", preferably with picture -
which is how to signup, how to upload. Obviously we'll need lots of links to
other places, like COM:L.  But at least one small page to be less
intimidating.

As Cary said, copyvio'rs are going to figure a way in.  Hell, most of the
Copyvio'rs we have now _know_ wiki's inside and out.  So we might as well
make it dead stupid easy for newbies.

-Jon
[[Commons:User:ShakataGaNai]]