[Commons-l] Flickr's "The Commons" Mk 2: the Powerhouse Museum

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 15:29:28 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Just in case you missed it, Sydney's Powerhouse Museum is now taking
part in Flickr's "The Commons" thing, following the Library of
Congress's suit.

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/powerhouse_museum/>

They plan to release 50 new ones each week. This seems like a
manageable stream. Also: yay,
geotagging.<http://www.flickr.com/photos/powerhouse_museum/map/>

on Commons:
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Powerhouse_Museum_PD_images>

There are really some wonderful Australian historical images: daily
life, architecture, people, places and even animals (baby emus!). I
mean baby emus today are probably the same as baby emus 100 years ago,
but still, not exactly an everyday photograph being uploaded by the
dozen.

I would love to see some juxtapositions of some of the
buildings/streets of Sydney. If anyone in Sydney tries to "recreate"
any of these images and put them side by side, let me know. I think it
would be really cool to see.

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/