[Commons-l] Wikimedia Commons at Open Expo Zürich 19. Sept. 2007

Robin Schwab contact at robinschwab.ch
Mon Sep 17 21:46:05 UTC 2007

Hi folks

I just got the large format prints we will show at Open Expo Zürich
(Switzerland) on Wednesdy. I will there hold a lightning talk on the
social event at 19:00 with the exclusive content Wikimedia Commons.
You're invited to be there! http://www.openexpo.ch/openexpo-2007-zuerich/

See the pictures that got selected for printing:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Napa/Wikipediatag#Gew.C3.A4hlte_Bilder
Thanks Wladyslaw, Nando and Dani for their job.

Short question for preparing my speech: Have we done similar events
before? Where?

There are also some lessons learned for me:
-It's really a stupid thing to require super sharp downsampled pictures
at 100% on screen if the original image was larger. We including myself
tend to do this on QI and FP today. When it comes to printing posters
you'll need to upsample them and some information got lost.
-Sharpening looks really different when seen on a print than on screen.
For very large (<5MP) images we shall request optimization for printing
and not for screen.

Anyway. I'll really be glad to see some of you guys at Open Expo or on
Wikipedia Day Berne Sept 29th where we'll show the prints again.

Regards

Robin Schwab
Wikimedia CH - Association for the Advancement of Free Knowledge