[Commons-l] Rotation bot/script

Ayelie ayelie.at.large at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 15:29:19 UTC 2007

On 9/8/07, Florian Straub <flominator at gmx.net> wrote:

> Yesterday I saw Flickr's function "rotate image". This is really great,
> especially for people with lower bandwidth. Could we do something like
> that,
> too?
>
> Idea 1: A tool that downloads the image, rotates it and uploads it either
> under the username of the one who called it or by its own username.
>
> Idea 2: A bot which does that. You can call the bot by {{rotate|right}} or
> {{rotate|left}}
>
> What do you think? Would that be possible?
>
> Regards,
>
> Flo

We get a lot of images needing 90° rotation from people who don't know know
to rotate them, and there are a lot of people who rotate them using
non-lossless means; a bot or automatic script or something that does the
rotation losslessly and is easy to use would be great. It would both
decrease the work for the volunteers rotating the images AND ensure that
lossless rotation is used so quality stays high.

--
Ayelie
  ~Editor at Large