[Commons-l] Problems with derivative works

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 12:20:05 UTC 2007

On 25/10/2007, Nilfanion <nilfanion at googlemail.com> wrote:

> It is easy to fix one image, but I suspect we have deeper problems
> throughout the project with a lack of respect for copyleft.
> Establishing just how serious this issue is will be non-trivial, never
> mind resolving it.

I don't think this is a lack of respect for copyleft, per se, so much
as a fundamental misunderstanding as to what a derivative work is -
people not realising that making a changed version of something
doesn't wipe the existing rights in it. We get this problem whether
the original works are free or unfree...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk