[Commons-l] Automatic messages to users: guessing userpreferred language

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Sat Oct 6 13:55:51 UTC 2007

Saturday, 6 October 2007, Florian Straub wrote:
> What about {{notify me}}? The users are advised to put it on their
> user page after registration.

What? We have a template encouraging this behaviour? English, Polish and
Spanish Wikipedia are not Wikimedia Commons. Demanding that Commons
discussions take place there is about as reasonable as asking
notification on one's Facebook page. It's a long-standing principle on
Wikimedia projects that discouraging use of one's talk page (and that
includes diverting such use elsewhere) is unacceptable.

 * Users who can't be bothered to check their user talk pages should
enable e-mail notifications. It takes all of three clicks.
 * Users who can't be bothered checking their user talk pages should not
expect other users to jump through hoops such as registering on another
site or divulging their IP address.

Apart from the rudeness of expecting this burden to be reversed, there
are several technical problems with this idea.

 1. Users of UserMessages.js might not even see such notices, or would
be slowed down in their janitorial tasks if they were to cater to them.
 2. There is no way of using Commons talk page templates outside of
Commons, short of copying the wiki code, manually filling in the
parameters, and modifying all the links.
 3. It increases the risk of users being impersonated and of inactive
accounts being compromised.

The best course of action would be to have a bot inform users on the
page they have requested that this is a bad idea and that they can
easily enable e-mail notifications to achieve their objectives without
any of the downsides. This should then be followed by the delinking and
removal of the template.

I have previously discussed this matter at
[http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump/Archive/2007Mar#Redirected_user_talk_pages]
and
[http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Talk_page_guidelines]
and I will leave a copy of this message at
[http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template_talk:Notify_me].

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:LX