[Commons-l] Automatic messages to users: guessing user preferred language

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Oct 4 22:46:13 UTC 2007

> Well right, we'd have to jump through some hoops to make the change
> but I think it may well be worth it. Perhaps tie in the data becoming
> public with the switch to SUL?

I don't see a privacy issue here. IMHO it would be fine to immediately
make this visible on the user page.

It would actually be wise to allow users to express language abilities
in a more fine-grained way through the preferences. But this is
information that users should only have to maintain once, not
repeatedly, so that part should probably wait until SUL.

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik