[Commons-l] File types brainstorm

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 04:21:31 UTC 2007

Hello all,

It seems to me we haven't added any new file formats/types for a while
now. Are there any we should work on adding? Are there any reasons we
shouldn't add them?

- something for Blender? (sth. like game environments if my impression
is correct)
- SMIL? (open standard alternative to Powerpoint, I think)
- Open Office 2 formats?
- what would be best for animations? I would find it hard to believe
that GIF is optimal...

TIFF was mentioned on wikitech-l recently. The comment was made that
anything TIFF should really be a better format: jpg for photographs
and djvu for scans, and maybe png for anything else. TIFF tiles are
typically huge and all those options are much smaller.

Someone else commented on the VP that we have no documentation on DjVu
which I found to be true, from how to create DJvu files, to how to use
them in MediaWiki. I had a look on mediawiki.org and couldn't find
anything too useful either. So any hints here would be appreciated.

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/