[Commons-l] CatLitter

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 25 17:45:18 UTC 2007

I saw the "categorization drive" on Commons yesterday, and thought
that categorizing 6K images through the usual methods is not fun. Now
there are 5K left, and here's my contribution: CatLitter!
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/catlitter.php

The tool with the ultimate name for anything with categories scans
[[Category:Media needing categories]], then selects 50 users at
random, and shows their images in this category. Many users,
especially drive-by uploaders, upload images with a similar content,
so that seemed the way to group related images together.

Each image is shown as thumbnail with info, as well as a CatScan list
with possible categories, and some standard templates.
A textbox contains the image description minus {{uncat}}. Clicking on
suggested categories or templates adds/removes the respective item
to/from the textbox.
The text can, of course, be edited manually. the button opens the diff
edit view in a new window/tab.

Have fun,
Magnus