[Commons-l] Allow Digital Negative (DNG) RAW format on Commons? (and increase filesize limit)

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Fri Nov 23 19:53:01 UTC 2007

> Brianna, apparently your contact mentioned DNG, but the excerpt you
> quoted only mentions "higher resolution files". 300dpi JPEG files are
> not "just good enough". They're high resolution files. Now, if we want
> to follow the standard of the printing industry, the priority would be
> to allow TIFF files.

Afaict it is rare for a photographic TIFF to contain more information
than can be stored exactly in a PNG. PNG is a much saner format than
TIFF for a project like commons.

What we do need though is the ability to choose thumbnail parameters
other than size. e.g. have a png in storage but generate JPEG thumbnails
from it.