[Commons-l] Allow Digital Negative (DNG) RAW format on Commons? (and increase filesize limit)

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 15:02:25 UTC 2007

On 23/11/2007, Jastrow <jastrow at pip-pip.org> wrote:
> I agree adding DNG to our list of supported file types would be a good
> thing but I seriously doubt that it will bring Commons more high
> resolution files. It would be more useful, I think, to educate our users
> not to downsample, and so on.

I don't see why we can't do both those things?

There are a few dozen, maybe as many as 100, regular, highly valuable
contributors who likely do shoot RAW and would upload RAW files as an
archival record if nothing else, if we gave them the opportunity.
That's not a great number but it will rise in time.

I brought this issue up because someone brought it up on the VP, and
[[commons talk:file types]]. I wasn't aware until then that we had a
suitable RAW format, ie open standard. Now that we do (? no one has
raised any objections?), I believe it would be of great benefit to the
project to give people the option to be able to upload this format if
they wish.

Anyway I think we both arrive at the same conclusion. :)

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/