[Commons-l] Allow Digital Negative (DNG) RAW format on Commons? (and increase filesize limit)

Joichi Ito jito at neoteny.com
Thu Nov 22 01:17:26 UTC 2007

RAW formats can have higher dynamic range. One camera I have has 16
bits of color. CaptureOne, for instance, doesn't manage RAW in RGB
space. It keeps the B&W and color data in different data spaces until
it "prints" it into jpg. It's feasible that you might have two
objects in two different lighting conditions in the same photo - for
instance, a person in a shadow in the foreground and a building in
the background. With the RAW you could crop, extract and correctly
expose both objects. If you rendered into jpg you'd lose a lot of the
information when you fixed the exposure.

I guess the question is how much "archival" of this sort of raw data
you want in the commons. You could always just ask the photographer
to do the processing for the various versions of the images.