[Commons-l] Allow Digital Negative (DNG) RAW format on Commons? (and increase filesize limit)

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 13:43:12 UTC 2007

On 21/11/2007, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:

> "There are indeed, some amazing images. I definitely believe that
> publishers could use this resource if they're in need of (one more
> image) to complete an existing project. But I'm uncertain about how
> publishable much of the content is, especially in the absence of
> higher resolution files (which disqualifies printing). "
>
> So although our works are usually sufficient for web use, it seems
> clear that we cannot present ourselves as a serious kind of archivist,
> culture-recording project, without introducing a RAW format and
> encouraging people to use it.

Careful not to jump two steps there :-)

We mainly don't have higher resolution image files because people
aren't uploading high-resolution image files to start with, not
because the high-resolution JPGs or TIFFs which we have Just Aren't
Good Enough(TM).

(Do we allow TIFFs?)

Allowing the upload of RAW files would certainly be a good thing (if
we have the capacity, which I assume we do), but it'll probably mean
that our high-end stuff gets better, not that we make substantially
more content publishable.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk