[Commons-l] image annotation extensions

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 17 17:06:33 UTC 2007

On Nov 17, 2007 1:08 PM, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Angela announced that Wikia has released
> http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/ImageTagging/
> demo:
> http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Sydney_for_image_tagging_demo.jpg
>
> Magnus has a somewhat similar thing via Javascript
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:ImageBoxes.js .
>
> I find Magnus' more intuitive in that you mouseover the image to see
> the boxes, rather than mousing over the names of the annotations.
>
> But they are both a bit problematic in that they don't record the edit
> action in any standard way. You don't know who added or removed any
> annotation, there's no history, no ability to revert. If someone added
> an offensive tag to many images there'd be no way to even find out
> which images they tagged - would there?

My solution handles the tags as normal edits, that is, adding a template.

You actually have to do the edit yourself at the moment, after copying
the template text from a dialog box. I meant to automate this, but
since there was little enthusiasm by the community, I put it on the
back burner.

There is also a design issue to be decided. Should tags be
* exclusively category names, as it is now
* normal links to all namespaces (requires typing "category", and can
be followed only through "what links here" from non-category pages)
* exclusively category names with a special prefix (like "Bee" could
become "Category:Tag:Bee")

The third possiblity would separate the tags from our "normal" system.
Is that what we want? I don't know.
The second one is great for image-to-page links (click on the box in
the image and go to a gallery or category), but bad for the other
direction ("what articles have tags "flower" and "bee"?).

Maybe a combination of 1&2 or 2&3 is the answer.

Cheers,
Magnus