[Commons-l] Free (gratuit and libre) satellite/aerial imagery?

Benjamin Esham bdesham at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 16:04:32 UTC 2007

Aude wrote:

> Benjamin Esham wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a source for satellite or aerial imagery released
> > under a license suitable for Commons use?  I'd like to create images of
> > a couple of locations in the United States, but I haven't been able to
> > find any suitable sources online.
>
> The USGS has various sites, but the best one might be:
>
> http://seamless.usgs.gov/
>
> The imagery here comes in GeoTIFF format which works with GIS/mapping
> programs, as well as should be able to open them in other graphics
> programs.  Also, beware these are large downloads, and there may be some
> learning curve with using the site.

Thanks!  This site is kind of annoying... the user interface is sluggish,
and I wish that it could automatically stitch together images instead of
leaving you to do that yourself.  However, I have been able to put together
a couple of nice images to upload to the Commons.

Thanks again for the tip!

--
Benjamin D. Esham
E-mail/Jabber: bdesham at gmail.com | AIM bdesham128 | PGP D676BB9A