[Commons-l] Copyright is hard (was Re: Professionalphotographers on Commons: sucess story)

Florian Straub flominator at gmx.net
Thu Nov 8 10:51:13 UTC 2007

"Gregory Maxwell" <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote on Wednesday, November 07, 2007
3:31 AM:

> What do people think of automatically assigning new users to a user
> advocate who speaks their language? Something where experienced users
> can sign in when they are around and new users will be assigned to
> them?  Would that help?    I don't think we need to worry about
> scaling it at first: if we are unable to assign advocates for
> everyone, we could at least help some.. and that would be an
> improvement.

We have something like that at German Wikipedia (
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:MP ). There is a list of people available as
mentors with a brief description of their fields of work.

People interested in mentors have to put a template on their user page in
order to be found. That would be a nice solution on Commons, too. Especially
when people have to be active to get a mentor, you avoid all the zombies
wasting your time.

What do you think?

Regards,

Flo