[Commons-l] User interactions (Was: Copyright is hard (was Re: Professional photographers on Commons: sucess story))

Alexandre NOUVEL alexandre.nouvel at alnoprods.net
Thu Nov 8 09:32:24 UTC 2007

Hi list,

---Selon Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>:
> On Nov 8, 2007 1:31 AM, Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Zombie users I'd say - I used to write personal notes instead
> > of using templates, especially for stuff that I deleted on
> > sight. Maybe one in twenty actually responded, for the others
> > it's not clear if they even saw my note. I don't understand
> > the psychology either.
>
> I always thought the zombie users were users with the interface
> set to a language they didn't read fluently... I know that I'm
> a zombie when I edit some language I can't even remotely grok.

I believe that many users appear to be zombies when they don't speak
English and get (a bunch of) automated templates written in English.

Even if the templates have links to other versions of them, I am
personnally convinced that the templates should at least be put on the
user talk page in the language that the user used to name the images or
to set their descriptions or in their edit comments. Surely, this takes
more time to browse their contributions and guess their preferred
language, but this eventually increases the chances to get an actual
contact with the user.

So I'd suggest anyone adding welcome/warning templates to do their best
to guess the user language. I'd also would like to propose that bots
would not add automatically welcome templates after only one or two
edits: this should be let to users as long as the bot has no ways to
guess the newbie preferred language... I understand that this would add
to the current huge load of work, but I'm sure that would dramatically
improve the warmth of the user first contact with the community :)

Best regards from France,
Alexandre.NOUVEL at alnoprods.net
|-> http://alnoprods.net
|-> L'encyclopédie libre et gratuite : http://fr.wikipedia.org
\ I hate spam. I kill spammers. Non mais.