[Commons-l] Copyright is hard (was Re: Professional photographers on Commons: sucess story)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 10:49:08 UTC 2007

On 07/11/2007, Bryan Tong Minh <bryan.tongminh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm also thinking that Commons:Licensing is a long and hard document
> to read and above all very scary for new users. It tries to set out
> the details of our licensing policy. Maybe we should create a
> summarizing page that outlines the basics and refers to the relevant
> Commons:Licensing, Commons:Derivative_works,  etc.?

I tried some of this with [[Reuse]] - which is a document specifically
targeted to people outside Wikimedia who don't have a clue about this
but see a nice picture and want to reuse it.

It's not just a question of what we're documenting, but specifically
who it's aimed at - outside readers, Wikimedians from the projects we
service, people who are or should be used to Commons, experienced
copyfighters, etc.

- d.

- d.