[Commons-l] Copyright is hard (was Re: Professional photographers on Commons: sucess story)

Bryan Tong Minh bryan.tongminh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 09:28:49 UTC 2007

On Nov 7, 2007 3:05 AM, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rama, nice post. :)
>
> On 07/11/2007, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > Yeah. Looking at his talk page makes me sad -- the usual round of
> > scripted & stacked image deletion warnings for copyright reasons. We
> > need socially more appropriate ways to deal with copyright issues.
>
> The thing is...
> Copyright is hard. It is a brick wall that is high, and I don't know
> of any way of getting around it easily or quickly that isn't cheating,
> ie fundamentally wrong, and likely to bite you on the arse in the
> future. It's like weight loss, there is only one way that works - the
> hard way.

I'm also thinking that Commons:Licensing is a long and hard document
to read and above all very scary for new users. It tries to set out
the details of our licensing policy. Maybe we should create a
summarizing page that outlines the basics and refers to the relevant
Commons:Licensing, Commons:Derivative_works,  etc.?

Bryan