[Commons-l] Attribution for Commons Images on lenta.ru

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 10:08:29 UTC 2007

On 11/3/07, Eugene Zelenko <eugene.zelenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I noticed today Commons image
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Mus_Musculus-huismuis.jpg as
> illustration for article http://www.lenta.ru/news/2007/11/02/mouse/
> about newly created GMO super-mouse.
>
> Other example is Minsk photo
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Victory-square.jpg in
> http://lenta.ru/news/2007/07/31/venez/.
>
> In both cases attributions are far from ideal. Should we take any
> actions (I mean educational one)?

Yes, this would be a good idea, especially if as you say, it is a
noteworthy source of info.

Can someone who speaks Russian send them a kind email thanking them
for using material from Commons and tell them that although the
material is under a free licencese, they should be respecting some
attribution rules?

As you point out, I think the educational path is the best.

Delphine

--
~notafish

La critique, art aisé, se doit d'être constructive. -- Boris Vian in
*Chroniques du menteur*