[Commons-l] Meet our photographers page?

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Wed May 30 20:43:03 UTC 2007

On 5/30/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> It says 'This page showcases a selection of the highly skilled
> photographers...' (I just now inserted 'a selection of'). Do you think
> this is clear enough?

Certainly addresses the bulk of it., because it makes it clearer that
not being on this list doesn't mean you're not one of our
highly-skilled photographers.  Egos and all that ...

> I added a notice to the top of the talk page I had intended to do this
> once a criterion had been set. Since it seems set, for now at least, I
> added the notice.

Again good.

> MatthewMaggs thought to add a notice to the page itself, but IMO it
> looks unprofessional (like a press release in mid draft). Maybe I will
> be overruled on this point?

Perhaps a HTML comment near the top so that it doesn't appear to
viewers but might be obvious to an editor?  I don't like doing this in
general but this might be an appropriate place.

> As I said, about 10 people *qualify* (and several others within
> striking distance). We're waiting for people to write profiles.
>
> There's no rush, is there? (notwithstanding David's original post,
> which is perhaps now a lapsed opportunity)

No rush, certainly.  I do have a little concern about setting counts
of Featured Pictures up to be the only thing we care about.  FP can be
a bit capricious about what it values at times.  Not sure if I can
think of a better way to decide off-hand, though.

-Matt