[Commons-l] EDRI-gram newsletter : UK House of Commons culture committee wants copyright extension

david.monniaux at free.fr david.monniaux at free.fr
Thu May 24 16:15:38 UTC 2007

Selon geni <geniice at gmail.com>:

> The sound recording copyright is somewhat non standard under UK law
> where everything else other than typesetting (20 years probably one of
> the few copyright lengths I agree with) is life +70.

Life +70 is in a 1993 European directive, this is standard across Europe modulo
oddities like the infamous French wartime and killed-in-action extensions (the
former of which were removed by the court of cassation).

I bet that recording +50 for sound (*) is also a European standard.

(*) Sound recordings carry the copyright of the authors (songwriter, lyricist,
composer...) and the artists (singers, musicians...) and possibly the producers,
but only the first kind is "authors' rights" in French law. The others are
"rights related to authors' rights" and have a shorter duration.