[Commons-l] New JavaScript toy: "Gallery preview"

Ayelie ayelie.at.large at gmail.com
Tue May 15 21:48:15 UTC 2007

On 5/15/07, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 5/15/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 15/05/07, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > I put it under [[MediaWiki talk:Gallerypreview.js]]. Installation
> > > instructions on the page:
> > > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Gallerypreview.js
> > >
> > > (Now that I read it, "gallerypreview" is not exactly correct; catchy
> > > name, anyone?)
> >
> > Well, 'gallerypreview' is COMPLETELY the wrong name. it should be
> > 'categorypreview'. :)
>
> I'll move it once I'm admin :-)
>
> > Secondly can you do the same thing for actual gallery pages? (main
> > namespace) e.g.
> >
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Fort_Siloso%2C_Sentosa%2C_Aug_06.JPG
> > this image is in a gallery, but no categories.
>
> I can find all pages (in the main namespace) that include this image,
> but neither query.php nor api.php let me find the other images used on
> these pages. So, can't be done with JavaScript ATM.
>
> > Thirdly.... can you please write it into MW???? :]
>
> Of course I can, and it would be faster and would take care of the
> gallery issue. Alas, experience tells me that it will never get turned
> on, and an extension would never be installed on the live sites.

Very nice, I like it :) However, I've found that with large landscape
previews and both the category preview and js checkusage installed, the
image preview tends to be pushed down below the catpreview. I have a wide
monitor and this still happens. You can see
here<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Editor_at_Large%2527s_test_image.png>.
Is that due to how I have the two installed in my javascript subpage
or is
it something else?

--
Ayelie