[Commons-l] New JavaScript toy: "Gallery preview"

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Mon May 14 19:44:06 UTC 2007

New toy! Upon loading an image page, it will scan the categories of
that image, and, for each category, show the last and next one in the
order of "addition to the category" as a thumbnail. Sounds
complicated? Have a screenshot:

http://www.magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/gallerypreview.png

I put it under [[MediaWiki talk:Gallerypreview.js]]. Installation
instructions on the page:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Gallerypreview.js

(Now that I read it, "gallerypreview" is not exactly correct; catchy
name, anyone?)

Besides the "pretty" factor, it has some practical uses:
* Shows number of images in the categories (spot one-image-only categories)
* Complains if there's no/only "trivial" (licensing etc) categories

The query.php interface won't give more than 500 results per category,
so last/next information on larger categories /will be wrong/. If you
find any more "trivial" categories, please let me know (or add them to
the script, it's simple, really!).

Have fun,
Magnus