[Commons-l] Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Commons deletion issue

bawolff bawolff+wn at gmail.com
Wed May 2 00:17:46 UTC 2007

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:40:46 -0400
From: "Gregory Maxwell" <gmaxwell at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Commons-l] Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Commons deletion issue
To: "Wikimedia Commons Discussion List"
       <commons-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

> On 4/30/07, Daniel Kinzler <daniel at brightbyte.de> wrote:
> > Note that commons admins often rely on my CheckUsage tool to check where an
> > image is used. Due to the way to database is fed from the parser, this might
> > miss some uses, though. Specifically, it may miss any ''conditional'' use of an
> > image, i.e. used directly or indirectly inside a {{#if}} or {{#switch}} clause.
>
> I don't think this is accurate. If an image is actually *displayed* on
> a page it should show up, although only on the page which the image is
> being displayed on. If some use of parserfunctions is causing an image
> to not currently be displayed it will not show up.
>
> What doesn't show up are images pulled in via javascript or css. There
> is no way we can expect the mediawiki software or commons admins to be
> aware of these cases automatically. Even local images used from CSS do
> not show up in file links.
>
> For this latter case the only thing we can do is advise people who
> include images via css to note this fact on the image page, and ask
> >that the image page be protected. I do this for enwiki every once in a
> >while.

We at wikinews use
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Important_images_not_directly_linked_that_if_are_deleted_you_will_incur_many_peoples_wrath
for js/css included images (as suggested by pfctdayelise )

p.s.  I'm very certain we all get mad at commons for deleting stuff
some of the time. Just look at wikinews <->commons relations from
about two years ago. However they are getting significantly better.

-bawolff