[Commons-l] Monobook.css update?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Sat Jun 16 14:20:05 UTC 2007

> Simetrical wrote: You seem to be confusing
> two issues: the ability to edit styles from
> within MediaWiki, and the ability to do it
> without technical know-how ...

Peter Blaise responds: Actually, I am trying to rise above both issues.

There was a call for putting energies into redesigning monobook.css for "commons" (to differentiate it visually so contributors knew they were at "commons" and not another wiki - apparently there is at least one person who got confused and wants the on-screen interface design to help distinguish between wikis for them).

In response, I suggested that instead, put energies into maturing the MediaWiki interface itself to become the place where ALL configuration is done.

In other words, NOT as much a cry for dumbing down the need for *.css skills (which MUST die anyway, eventually), but a cry for growing the sysops/bureaucrat/admin/developer/registereduser/bot/user/reader/printer/yada,yada,yada interface to take over more and more control of anything and everything anyone does in a MediaWiki.

Otherwise, we're just rearranging the deck chairs.

-- Peter Blaise