[Commons-l] Monobook.css update?

bawolff bawolff+wn at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 00:14:25 UTC 2007

> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:39:54 -0400
> From: Cary Bass <cbass at wikimedia.org>
> Subject: [Commons-l] Monobook.css update?
> To: Wikimedia Commons Discussion List <commons-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>
> IMHO, the old monobook is getting old and tired, and it's marginally
> relevant to Wikimedia Commons.  And it's so similar to many of the
> projects that it's not always easy to tell that you've moved from one
> wiki to another.
>
> And, judging from offsite conversations, some of you are agreeing with me.
> But not all of us are good at designing skins.  And how do we change it
> while upsetting the least amount of people?
>
> I propose that we formulate a contest to come up with a new, more
> exciting monobook.css.
>
> What do you all think?
>
> -C

Wikinews had a design contest once (
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews_design_contest ). Problem is
no one could agree on anything but that the current monobook sucked
for anything not an encyclopedia (and to this day, that is the
prevailing opinion more or less) .

Anyways, one of the useful things we did do that might be useful for
your contest, is make some of the entries alternate stylesheets on
wikinews. This allowed people to try them out easily without going
through [[special:mypage/monobook.css]]. For example, goto any page on
the english wikinews. On a browser that supports alt stylesheets (like
firefox, opera), View->Page Style->foo.

Good luck
-bawolff