[Commons-l] Understanding CC 3.0 and moral rights

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Jul 21 06:15:25 UTC 2007

Let me see if I can keep this short and to the point.  The subject is
complex, and it took me several readings and discussions with
lawyers to make sure I grasped it fully.

The intention behind the mentions of moral rights in CC 3.0 is
absolutely NOT to introduce moral rights, but rather to ensure that
the licenses are not invalidated in moral rights jurisdictions.

The dustup is mostly about the "unported" version.  The language in
question does not appear in the US version.  And it is REALLY
important to understand that people can reuse works
IN the US under the US version, even when they are released under the
"unported" version.

There's a clever bit of legal judo here, see?

The only jurisdiction where the unported clause would seem to matter
is jurisdictions in where there are no moral rights (basically, only
within the US, the only jurisdiction without this concept).

And in the US, you can reuse works using the US license.

See?

--Jimbo