[Commons-l] CC by 3.0 not allowed on Commons?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 00:47:33 UTC 2007

On 7/14/07, Joichi Ito <jito at neoteny.com> wrote:
> Yes. As the chairman of CC I would disagree that 3.0 is non-free. ;-)

It places limits on how the work can be used.

Implementation also tends to go further than the law. For example from
the UK: English and welsh version:

subject the Work to any derogatory treatment as defined in the
Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

If we look at the relevant section we see:

(4) The right does not apply in relation to the publication in—

       (b) an encyclopaedia, dictionary, yearbook or other collective
work of reference,

I would also tend to argue that  there should have been further
exploration into section 87

Additionally by moving beyond core copyright matters you create
further problems for example:

"publish, distribute, archive, perform or otherwise disseminate the
Work or the Work as incorporated in any Collective Work, to the public
in any material form in any media whether now known or hereafter
created."

Would appear to have issues with the The Artist's Resale Right
Regulations 2006 (mind you anyone managing to trigger that would be
impressive short of hyperinflation in the eurozone).

--
geni