[Commons-l] My Photo Was Reused (God or Bad News?)

Aude audevivere at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 00:09:04 UTC 2007

It's always interesting to google your own username and see where your
photos are being used.  (as well as what websites, blogs, forums, etc. say
about your work on Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects).  I'm pleased to see
people think these photos are good enough to reuse elsewhere.

http://richmondva.wordpress.com/2007/06/06/new-development-for-downtown-broad-st/
http://science.howstuffworks.com/tunnel1.htm
http://dcist.com/2006/05/18/transit_on_thur.php

I can't find it any longer, but was very amused to find one of my pictures
was once used in a news item on the Department of Homeland Security home
page.

Though, I also have had some inquiries from people not sure how to provide
attribution.  To my user name?  real name? or what.  Maybe it would help to
provide those answers on my user page.

-Aude

On 7/6/07, Ayelie <ayelie.at.large at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/6/07, Guillaume Paumier < guillom.pom at gmail.com > wrote:
> >

> > On 7/6/07, Eugene Zelenko < eugene.zelenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I want to shamelessly announce :-) that my photo is used on
> > >
> > > http://www.schmap.com/sanfrancisco/sights_richmond/#mapview=Map&tab=Places&p=21888&topleft=37.85263,-122.53326&bottomright=37.71099,-122.43679&i=21888.jpg
> > > .
> > > But this image was taken from flickr, not Commons.
> > >
> > > Indeed, I advertised Commons in "thank you" letter, but this is
> > > information for critical analysis...
> > >
> > > We still have problems with Commons visibility :-(. Google still can't
> > > find images on Commons. GeoCommons is not included by default in
> > > Google Earth. And so on and so on... :-(
> >

> > I concur. Some months ago, I was requested permission to reuse one of my
> > pictures of Nicolas Sarkozy (current French President). The lady who asked
> > me found the picture on my flickr gallery and wanted to use it on the cover
> > of a newsletter her company edited. I asked her to cite Wikimedia Commons as
> > source, but we really need to increase our visibility.
> >

> > --
> > Guillaume Paumier
> >

> Definitely agree: three of my images are being used different places (one
> in a documentary for the British History Channel, one on a website in the
> UK, and one was used on a news article) and they are all images that were
> dual posted to Flickr and Commons. All three times, the mail came from
> flickr and that's where the image was taken from; credit in the news article
> went to Ayelie with a link to my *flickr* account, though I asked that the
> documentary mention "Ayelie at the Wikimedia Commons" .
>
> We need to make it easier for people to contact the owners of the images,
> as people seem to like to do that before using them - I was contacted for
> two instances, and both times they seemed to want to double check things
> like how to credit me or, in the case of the one used on the site, I
> licensed a thumbnail as PD for them so they could use it as an icon without
> worrying about attribution for such a teensy thing. Some people do figure
> out that there's an "E-mail this user" link when you visit the
> uploader/author's userpage, but most people are just going to look at the
> image page. It is easy, of course, for people to simply add their personal
> info to the information page; but a lot of people don't think to or can't be
> bothered.
>
> Ideas:
> 1. Enable a user preference where user's e-mail addresses are added to the
> sidebar or to the image description page on images they upload
> 2. Have an option (checkbox on upload page) when "uploading own work" to
> have your e-mail address added to the page, either via sidebar link or next
> to the author name in the {{information}} template
> 3. Have users fill a "public info" section in preferences, which is then
> [...]

Aude