[Commons-l] Should Commons be renamed?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Jul 2 11:33:35 UTC 2007

On 7/2/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> IMO Commons had rather no choice but to choose a confusing name,
> because the obvious name - Wikimedia! - already stands for some other
> idea that doesn't actually have a lot to do with media but only wikis.
> Perhaps Wikimedia (& Wikimedia Foundation) should become Wikimmunity
> (wiki-community - but it kind of sounds like wiki-immunity :)) and
> then Commons can take over the Wikimedia label. Otherwise we're
> looking at "Wikimedia Media"... er... then should MediaWiki be
> "Wikimedia Wiki"? :)

How about just "wikicommons.org"? We do own the domain name. This
would reflect the idea that we, at some point, may want to also serve
other wiki communities through tools like InstantCommons. It would be
much less of a hassle to perform this rename since many people have
called it that from the start, and most references to the project
would still be accurate.

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik