[Commons-l] [Foundation-l] Commons request for input: policy on automatic image replacement

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 01:21:26 UTC 2007

On 2/19/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well in those cases we can virtually do what we like, because no one
> will notice. ;)

Indeed.

> > I'm almost tempted to say that IE bug workarounds should be removed
> > from commons. Perhaps some projects would choose not to work around IE
> > bugs, and yet we are shoving these workaround images on them?
>
> How is us having images, which any project can choose to use or not,
> "shoving" images on anyone? This is a somewhat odd assertion.
> Anyway I don't know much about this, I just know it's a reason some
> people have. And I personally don't want to push deletion of
> non-copyvios when it's going to cause friction between Commons and
> another project.

Projects can always upload an image locally if it is deleted or not
accepted on commons. (except those projects whom have totally disabled
local upload, .. but thats a self-inflicted wound)

However, if an image is on commons and a project doesn't want it there
is no way for the project to stop the image from being used.. other
than abusing the badimagelist or tracking down each and every time
someone puts it in an article. They lose the ability to make a
decision once and have it bind.

I don't know that it is a problem for these, but I think that it's
worthwhile to point out that it's worse for commons to have an image
that projects reject than it is for commons to reject an image a
project wants.