[Commons-l] King of the FlickrLickrs

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 19 00:16:55 UTC 2007

I'd like to officially announce Andre Engels as the reigning KING OF
THE FLICKRLICKRS. Andre was one of the first FlickrLickr reviewers,
and has reviewed a total of 30,000 CC-BY-licensed Flickr images so
far.

http://epov.org/cgi-bin/flickrlickr.pl?stats=1

Thanks to Andre for his continuing dedication. Though, KenWalker is
catching up quickly with 24,000 reviewed pictures. ;-) There are
currently 65 registered reviewers.

For those who do not know, FlickrLickr is a collaborative review
process for picking freely licensed pictures on Flickr that should be
uploaded to Commons:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:FlickrLickr

You see 50 random photos per page, edit their descriptions, and tick
the ones you want to upload. The vast majority of photos on Flickr is
of no relevance to us, or of unacceptable quality. So far, more than
150,000 pictures have been reviewed, and about 8,000 of these have
been uploaded to Commons.

New pics are being uploaded to Flickr at a much faster rate than we
can review them -- there are more than 5 million pictures under
acceptable licenses on Flickr. So we always need more volunteers. Just
e-mail me off-list if you want an account (include your Commons
username).

You can review some of the favorites chosen by FlickrLickr users here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:FlickrLickr/Highlights
(That page could use some reorganization - feel free to be bold. :-)

Some FlickrLickr pictures have become featured, and we do our best to
ensure that useful pictures get included in Wikimedia articles.
Volunteer today, and one day you might be the next .. KING OF THE
FLICKRLICKRS. ;-)
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic