[Commons-l] Sound files

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 17:16:34 UTC 2007

On 2/11/07, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> The problem is that existing academic software like "praat" use .wav
> files. I do sympathise up to a point that storage is used. However, the
> price of a terabyte of storage is such that this is not that relevant.
> Both an .ogg and a .wav file would be saved. The first is to enable
> science to do its thing, the second is for our punters.

I'm quite confidence that anyone using praat can type "flac -d *.ogg"
to decode all their files before starting pratt the first time.

In any case, praat should be enhanced to work with Ogg/Flac files. A
frequent problem with wavs in this application space is they have no
metadata. Ogg/Flac and Flac would be good independent of the
advantages of compression. I'm looking at the source right now, and it
appears that it would only need a few minor changes to get in basic
flac support.