[Commons-l] Fwd: Share-Alike with images

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Feb 10 09:41:30 UTC 2007

On 2/10/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm... I wouldn't consider some writing illustrated with an image of
> mine to be a deriviative work of my image.

Would you consider a film with a music composition a derivative of the
music? CC-BY-SA does. I'm not sure I would get hung up on the exact
meanings of "derivative work"; I think it makes more sense to
emphasize the _semantic relationship_ between two combined works.

> If CC's "SA" were to acquire this meaning, we'd have to disallow it
> for all Wikimedia projects that are GFDL, wouldn't we?

Not necessarily. CC-BY-SA 3.0 will include a compatibility clause:

If this will include the GFDL, a strong copyleft CC-BY-SA would allow
a third party to either comply, or migrate to a compatible license.

We've always held that GFDL combined with other pictures and media are
"mere aggregations", so it may be in our interest not to advocate a
strict interpretation of existing licenses. But it doesn't seem at all
unreasonable to me to desire stronger copyleft protection for works
which are, in their nature, unlikely to be significantly modified
directly.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik