[Commons-l] Vision for Commons, 2007

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 04:33:25 UTC 2007

On 10/02/07, Florian Straub <flominator at gmx.net> wrote:
> "Brianna Laugher" <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote on Thursday, February
> 08, 2007 2:38 PM:
>
> > * Reach out to local Wikimedia wikis and actively promote "Commons
> > only" upload policies.
> > Switching to Commons only has massive benefits for both the local wiki
> > (hugely reduced maintenance burden) and us (new contributions).
>
> A lot of people on de.wp are against Commons because of logos and old
> pictures without authors. Since we want to keep them, I don't see a way to
> achieve keeping them and having Commons only.

We being who, want to keep them being what, exactly?

Keep in mind Kat Walsh's recent announcement: "No project may have
content policies less restricive [...] than [...] Wikimedia Commons".

I raised the question as to whether this implies a change of the
current treatment of logos on Commons/DE.wp in this mail:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-February/027549.html

however it was soon overshadowed by a bunch of arguing about fair use. :)

> My additional wish would be a way to contact one time contributers. There
> are several ways to achieve this:

I tend to think it is too much effort for too little return, and even
if we force the uploaders to be contactable, there is no guarantee
they will reply when we write to them! I don't feel deleting "fly-by"
contributor's work is a big problem. The return uploaders are our main
"customers" and contributors and we should concentrate our efforts on
them.

cheers
Brianna