[Commons-l] Dual-Licensing Commons

nilfanion wiki nilfanion at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 9 19:02:06 UTC 2007

I had a random thought today and think it is worth a cursory consideration.
Would it be (1) desirable, (2) technically feasible and (3) legal to
relicense Commons under a dual GFDL / Creative Commons license as opposed to
the current GFDL state?

I don't no strong feelings about this, but I feel it is worthy of a
discussion. If it IS possible and legal (I'm not a lawyer so I don't know if
it is possible or not), I think there might be beneficial effects of it. For
example, imagine the following scenario:

An image is uploaded to Commons as CC-by-sa-2.5. A third party then makes
use of the image, under the terms of the CC license. In addition to the
image, they copy the description on the Image: page to use as their caption.
As the text of the page is licensed under the GFDL, would this downstream
user have violated the GFDL?

If the answer to this question is yes, then there could be significant
benefits to a dual-licensing of Commons itself. If this went anywhere, I'd
imagine the final decision would be made by the Foundation, but the
community ought to think it over first...

What do people think? (If its daft, don't hold your punches I don't mind)

Nilfanion