[Commons-l] Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Our content gets *everywhere*

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 13:27:04 UTC 2007

There is always this method.

- d.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>
Date: 23 Dec 2007 13:24
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Our content gets *everywhere*
To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

On 12/21/07, James Farrar <james.farrar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Six different front covers, each one with text lifted straight out of
> enwiki... I hit the roof - GFDL is not public domain! - but Management
> don't seem to care. Someone should sue ;-)

Prior to sueing, someone with a bit of initiative could send an
invoice. I suspect many companies, when faced with an actual invoice
of some reasonable amount (<$1000) would simply pay it. Some text to
the effect of "You didn't contact me before using my text. However,
I'm willing to grant a retrospective licence for $.... under the terms
at my website [...]".

Steve