[Commons-l] Yet another GFDL violation in a big newspaper

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 09:32:20 UTC 2007

Some more examples...

1
http://bostonist.com/2007/12/06/despicable_uses.php
"Image of an old-school computer from Wikimedia Commons."
Seems to be http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Science_museum_025_adjusted.jpg
- PD so, OK.

2
http://bostonist.com/2007/12/08/bite_size_news_30.php
"Image of a goat from Wikimedia Commons."
Couldn't find this one but maybe one of Fir0002's? A nice shot.

3
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/air_space/4234272.html
"(Photograph by Shannon Arledge/U.S. Marine Corps via Wikimedia Commons)"
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:ScanEagle_UAV_catapult_launcher_2005-04-16.jpg
PD, and we are making military photography more accessible, so that is great. :)

4
http://newsfromrussia.com/news/world/10-12-2007/102563-us_israel-0
"(commons.wikimedia.org)"
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Ehud_Olmert_%28Sao_Paulo_2005%29.jpg
CC-BY from Agência Brasil. They fail on failing to name the author and
failure to mention and link the license.

5
http://www.birdersworld.com/default.aspx?c=a&id=1046
"P. Alejandro Diaz/Wikimedia Commons"
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:La-Jolla-Red-Tide.780.jpg
PD, so OK

6
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2007/12/20/2123903.htm
"(Source: Wikimedia Commons)"
Hm... probably http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Bradman.jpg ,
claimed as PD, which gives
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/australia/content/image/161569.html as
a source, which says  "(c) AFP"... so that's interesting :)

7
http://www.associatedcontent.com/image/184185/index.html
"Copyright: Evb-wiki - Public Domain / Wikimedia Commons"
Hm, I couldn't find it on Commons, anyway.

8
http://discovermagazine.com/2007/aug/did-t-rex-taste-like-chicken/
" photograph David Monniaux, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons"
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Palais_de_la_Decouverte_Tyrannosaurus_rex_p1050042.jpg
GFDL, so points for trying, but fail.

hm, this could make a Commons drinking game ;)

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/