[Commons-l] Commons greetings cards

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 08:19:21 UTC 2007

On 22/12/2007, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/12/2007, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This spun off from a different discussion elsewhere, but I was
> > wondering about the possibility of printing Christmas cards based on
> > images from Commons. Maybe a partnership with a printing company could
> > be made for next year's fundraiser? (I'd buy them!)
> >
> > Angela
>
> I don't think Commons should officially release greetings cards for a
> religious festival. Greetings cards could generate funds but would not
> further our aims. Why don't we direct fundraising efforts at something
> that will also further the aims of the Wikimedia Fondation and/or
> Commons? Ideally, this would be something educational or informative.
> For Wikipedia, for example, this might be producing and selling
> WikiBooks to generate funds.
>
> I also don't think Wikimedia/Commons should endorse one particular
> religion  (or religious festival) in this way. Transcending cultural
> barriers is core to what we are trying to achieve and giving a nod to
> a particular religious/cultural practice doesn't seem compatible.

People can write their own captions, eh.

Are you guys thinking of creating cards with limited flexibility -
choose from X pre-selected images and Y pre-selected messages - or
something where you can generate the card you want "on the fly"?

I think something in between would be really cool - let people choose
from any QI or FP, but also have default "here's one we prepared
earlier" options. (Sensible defaults are half the battle won when you
give people options I think :))

But the you have the whole thing of infrastructure, and who is
responsible and omgz-are-we-publishing-something, and who gets the
money at the end of the day. Like would it really be just a big
exercise in making profit for CafePress.

The partnership seems to be the sticking point. We seem to lack
suitable contacts.

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/