[Commons-l] Commons in the CAPTCHA Hall of Shame

Ayelie ayelie.at.large at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 04:42:35 UTC 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 7:36 PM, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.pineight.com/rant/captcha/
>
> Commons is listed under "confusing examples":
>
> Wikimedia Commons links to Special:Captcha which mentions (but does
> not obviously link to) Commons:Contact us which links to Commons:Help
> desk, which permits anonymous posting. (Some other Wikimedia sites,
> such as English language Wiktionary, use the same CAPTCHA. The English
> language Wikipedia does not use a CAPTCHA at all.)
>
> Presumably they're referring to signing up for a new account. (I think
> captchas are also triggered when anon users introduce new external
> links.)
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny that enwp doesn't have the same captcha?? I
> thought all WMF projects had the same one now?

When creating an account on the English Wikipedia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&type=signup) it
has a captcha as well, but the text reads the following:

"*To help protect against automated account creation, please enter the words
that appear below in the box (more
info<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Captcha/help>):
*

*Unable to see the image? An administrator can create an account for
you<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Request_an_account>
.*"
(in case links don't show up, they are
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Captcha/help for "more info" and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Request_an_account for "create an
account for you")

Just a more specific page to go to if you want an admin to create your
account, instead of asking people to request assistance at the help desk. I
haven't checked other wikis, can't speak for them...

--
Ayelie
   (Editor at Large)