[Commons-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

Chris McKenna cmckenna at sucs.org
Wed Dec 5 16:47:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Daniel Schwen wrote:

> We sould apply the same standards to the holocaust-denial cartoons as we do to
> the mohammed cartoons. That means showing them as a fair use version, and
> thus due to licensing issues not on commons but on wikipedia, where they are
> used in an appropriate context accompanied by a critical discussion.

I'm a little out of date with the fair use policy on en.wp (and don't know
the policy on other wps), but as I understand it, if there is a Free
version available (which if the image was on commons I presume their
must be) then the view is that (Wikipedia/the Foundation) cannot claim
fair use.

If I am correct in this, then if the images have encyclopaedic merit and
projects want to inlcudem them, they need to be hosted on Commons.

In my opinion, we should not be censoring the Commons or applying double
standards to any content by removing material that is offensive to one
group of people and not removing content that is offensive to another
group of people. Almost every image of a person stands a good chance of
offending somebody somewhere, so we should either delete all the images
depicting humans or drawings of humans and anything else that offends
people or we should allow the inclusion of everything that meets the
Commons' inclusion policy (basically, anything useful for a Wikimedia
project that can be legally hosted by Commons).

Either directly or via the "disclaimers" or "About Wikimedia Commons"
links at the bottom of every page, we should make it clear though that
Commons is not censored and contains content that may offend. It should
also make clear that we do not encourage or support racism, sexism,
religious or any other form of discrimination, but that as such
discriminations exist, Commons may contain images that depicts them.

Chris

--
Chris McKenna

cmckenna at sucs.org