[Commons-l] EXIF

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 19:29:44 UTC 2007

On 8/20/07, Robin Schwab <contact at robinschwab.ch> wrote:
[snip]
> Exif information
> is not altered when uploading. Exif date/time original is not altered
> when edititing in Photoshop.

This brings us back to an old issue as well.. right now EXIF data
isn't copied into thumbnails.  This is annoying because our thumbs
lose all this nice data.

It would also be useful if we added 'thumbnailed flag' and a link to
the wikimedia image to the EXIF of thumbs that we generate. This would
make detection of uploading images derived from our thumbnails much
easier.

It would be even better to also copy the entire text of the image
page, but just the URL would be a big improvement.

We don't copy the EXIF today for good reason:  some jpegs have huge
blobs of data stuffed into the jpegs. A complete matrix+shaper ICC
profile is much larger than most of our thumbs. There are also thumbs
in the EXIF of a lot of images.

Has anyone seen any written recommendations on exif data that should
stripped for thumbnails?